Zoo adds lemurs, birds, aardvark | News
The Henry Vilas Zoo is welcoming new animals, including three ring-tailed lemurs, five birds and an aardvark.
The lemurs come from Madagascar where they were threatened by the loss of forest habitat. They will take residence in the zoo?s primate building.
A red-crested cardinal, red and yellow barbets, a yellow-rumped cacique, and a red vented bul bul are all new to the zoo?s Aviary Building.
An aardvark is in the zoo?s new Animal Health Center under temporary quarantine until it?s ready to move into its permanent home. Aardvarks are nocturnal and known to burrow underground for safety and shelter.
This is the last weekend for carousel and concession operations at the zoo before they close for the season.
Upcoming Events near Madison Far West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Author will discuss novel, sign books Thursday
- Middleton police look for vehicle that caused injury crash
- Meeting to discuss possible path between Pheasant Branch, Graber Pond
- Mustard Day returns with tastings, free hot dogs, Mustard Custard
- No traffic through Branch St. at Maywood Ave. intersection Wednesday